The following is a review of the
graphic novel “Venom: Sting of the Scorpion” as presented in Marvel Modern Era
Epic Collection format.
Eddie Brock’s mother died giving
birth to Eddie, something that Eddie’s sister Mary and father Carl struggled to
get past as Eddie grew up. As a child, Eddie was a pathological liar, making
things up to seem more impressive to others, particularly girls. Eddie always had
an interest in the news, and one night, Eddie’s father joked that Eddie should
report the news, something that Eddie took to heart. To appear impressive to the
Director of Admissions at Empire State University, Eddie lied about an
internship at the San Franscisco Chronicle, which helped him get into college. While
on a walk at night, Eddie and a female co-ed named Ann Weying, whom Eddie was
trying to impress, were attacked by muggers. Ann was knocked unconscious during
the struggle. Spider-Man was in the neighborhood and swung to their rescue and
knocked out the muggers, then left the scene, leaving Eddie to falsely take
credit for protecting Ann when Ann came to. After college, Eddie and Ann got
married, and Eddie got a job as an intern at the Daily Globe, but Eddie lied to
Ann and said he was a reporter. While going through mail for the letters column,
Eddie found a letter to the editor from a man calling himself the Sin-Eater,
taking credit for the murder of New York Police Department Captain Jean DeWolff
and leaving a date and location of where the killer next planned to make
contact. Rather than deliver the letter to the editor, Eddie went to the
payphone the Sin-Eater called, and Eddie interviewed the Sin-Eater. The editor
would not run Eddie’s interview unless the Sin-Eater killed again, and when the
Sin-Eater struck again, Eddie made the front page. Sin-Eater liked the
sensitivity Eddie portrayed to the Sin-Eater’s plight in the article and Sin-Eater
asked to meet Eddie at a church. Eddie met the Sin-Eater, who told Eddie the
Sin-Eater’s next target would be Reverend Bernard Finn, and that the Sin-Eater’s
true identity was Emil Gregg. After Reverend Finn’s murder, Sin-Eater contacted
Eddie again and told Eddie Sin-Eater’s next target would be J. Jonah Jameson, published
or rival newspaper The Daily Bugle. The NYPD found out Eddie had become Sin-Eater’s
contact, and the police arrested Eddie as an accessory to murder. While
awaiting trial, Eddie’s father made contact with Eddie to voice Carl’s
disappointment in Eddie protecting a murderer. This led Eddie to publish Gregg’s
identity as the Sin-Eater. Gregg was arrested attempting to assassinate
Jameson, but with the help of Spider-Man, Stan Carter was arrested as the
Sin-Eater, and Eddie’s source was revealed to be a copycat and not the actual
Sin-Eater. The Globe had to recall the edition Eddie’s story broke out on and
Eddie was fired. Following this, Ann filed for a divorce from Eddie. At a total
low, Eddie went to the church he met Gregg in, and the alien symbiote that had
previously been attached to Spider-Man bonded with Eddie. Hearing Eddie, the priest
called the police. The police suspected Eddie to be on drugs and attempted to
apprehend him, but the symbiote reacted and the two police officers did not
survive the encounter while Eddie and the symbiote walked away. Eddie signed
the divorce papers and ended Eddie’s marriage to Ann. The symbiote revealed to
Eddie that the symbiote’s former host Spider-Man’s true identity was Peter Parker.
Both Eddie and the symbiote nursed a hatred for Spider-Man and vowed revenge on
Spider-Man. Eddie and the symbiote went to Peter Parker’s apartment and attacked
Peter’s wife Mary Jane and told Mary Jane that Eddie was going to kill
Spider-Man. Spider-Man fought Eddie and the symbiote, who now called themselves
Venom, but this battle only the beginning of Spider-Man and Venom’s war.
Years later, Carnage, the result of
the bonding between the symbiote offspring of Venom and serial killer Cletus
Kasady, was going to give birth. Carnage was not happy that he was going to reproduce
and was planning to eliminate his offspring. Symbiote fathers never had loving
relationships with their children. Following the birth of the symbiote, NYPD
officer Patrick Mulligan had come to the scene of a disturbance caused by Carnage,
and the symbiote attached to Mulligan. Mulligan, not knowing he was hosting a
symbiote, went home to his pregnant wife Gina. Venom went to Mulligan’s
apartment to protect Mulligan and Gina from an attack by Carnage. Spider-Man
also came to the fight, and saved Gina, who went into labor. After pulling off
a successful art robbery, Felicia Hardy/Black Cat came to Mulligan’s rescue. Venom
vowed an allegiance with his grandson, whom he dubbed Toxin. Edward Mulligan
was born. Mulligan was informed of the art robbery and recognized Black Cat in
the surveillance photograph. Mulligan arranged a meeting with Black Cat, where
the two were attacked by Carnage. Mulligan became Toxin and fought off Carnage.
Mulligan was horrified that he had become a monster but decided to keep this
fact a secret. Toxin went back to fight Carnage but held back on causing a
fatality. Venom and Carnage realized Toxin was on the path of becoming a superhero
and decided to team up to end him. Toxin stopped an armed robbery, and almost
went fatal on the robbers, but with the help of Spider-Man, got the situation
under control. Venom and Carnage attacked Toxin and overpowered Toxin, but
Spider-Man and Black Cat came to Toxin’s rescue. After the villains were defeated,
Mulligan realized that for his whole life, he would now be a target of Venom and
Carnage and left Gina and Edward for their own protection while he went on the
run.
Peter’s Aunt May Parker had been
abducted by a supervillain and was possibly dead. The Daily Bugle was offering
a five million dollar cash prize for a photo of Spider-Man’s secret identity. Eddie
received a cancer diagnosis and found religion. Eddie decided to get rid of the
Venom symbiote and let the cancer do its work, so Eddie went to Phineas
Mason/Tinkerer to hold an auction, the lot being the Venom symbiote. An assortment
of super criminals and mob figures, including crime boss Don Fortunato,
attended the auction. Spider-Man stopped at a diner where he met a waitress named
Ramona, who had a sick grandson. The child’s grandfather was Adrian Toomes/Vulture,
and Spider-Man had just stopped the Vulture from committing a robbery that Vulture
would have given the money to Vulture’s grandson. To take Peter’s mind off of
Aunt May, Mary Jane suggested Peter and Mary Jane attend Peter’s high school reunion.
Don Fortunato won the Venom symbiote auction and gave the symbiote to Fortunato’s
weakling son Angelo Fortunato. The new Venom attacked Spider-Man at Peter’s high
school reunion. After taking it to the streets, Venom tried to kill Spider-Man,
succeeding in killing an impersonator seeking to make the five million dollar
prize. This only angered Spider-Man further, and Angelo proved to the symbiote
that Angelo didn’t have what it took to be Venom, so the symbiote abandoned
Angelo. Eddie had a bad reaction to Angelo and Venom’s split up. Peter found a
way to end the Spider-Man secret identity photo contest and settle things with
Ramona. Mac Gargan/Scorpion contacted Peter, revealing he was Aunt May’s kidnapper.
He demanded that Spider-Man would break Norman Osborn/Green Goblin out of
prison or Aunt May would face the consequences. Spider-Man agreed, and with
Black Cat’s help, was able to break Osborn out of jail. Osborn double-crossed
Spider-Man with an attack by an army of Spider-Man’s worst enemies. Scorpion
was supposed to appear. Osborn had sent Gargan a new Scorpion suit. The Venom
symbiote found Gargan, and Gargan attended Osborn’s attack on Spider-Man and
Black Cat not as Scorpion, but as Venom. Osborn was not happy with Venom’s
appearance, but continued Osborn’s plan of revenge on Spider-Man by going after
Mary Jane as Spider-Man fought Spider-Man’s enemies. Just as Spider-Man and
Black Cat were losing, a group of Spider-Man’s allies, summoned by Mary Jane,
joined the fight. Spider-Man attempted to go after Osborn but was halted by
Venom. Spider-Man was able to defeat Venom, but Osborn had already reached Mary
Jane. Spider-Man was able to prevail, Peter was reunited with Aunt May, Gargan
was apprehended, and Eddie was hospitalized.
After Peter unmasked as Spider-Man on
live television, Aunt May was shot and clung to life in the hospital. Eddie was
still residually haunted by Venom, despite no longer being physically bonded to
the symbiote. Eddie discovered that Peter’s Aunt May was dying in the same
hospital Eddie was dying in. Venom saw this as a perfect opportunity for
revenge on Spider-Man. Peter wanted to reach Aunt May on the astral plane and
bring May back to consciousness. Peter went to the clairvoyant Cassandra
Webb/Madame Web to ask for Madame Web’s help in contacting May. With the aid of
Mary Jane and Aunt Anna Watson, Peter was able to reach Aunt May. Aunt May told
Peter she was ready to die. Eddie could not go through with Venom’s plan to get
revenge on Spider-Man.
Carmilla Black debuted as the new Scorpion.
Venom was not happy that his former namesake had been taken and wished to defend
his trademark by eliminating Scorpion. Scorpion had to defend herself with her
power to absorb toxins to survive Venom’s assault.
The Cape Killers came after Venom
in violation of the Superhuman Registration Act. After Venom took them out, Songbird
and Radioactive Man, representing the Thunderbolts, came to Gargan with the
offer of joining the team. Venom accepted the offer.
While the Thunderbolts battled
Biohazard, Venom was pulled aside by Whirlwind, who arranged Gargan to be able
to leave Thunderbolts Mountain without consequence. Gargan met with Whirlwind,
Tiger Shark, Boomerang, and Mister Hyde, who blackmailed Gargan into arranging
a meeting between the quartet of villains and Norman Osborn. Gargan agreed. The
villains found out what it was like to cross Norman Osborn.
Okay, we have that rather lengthy
plot summary out of the way, now it’s time to move onto my individual bits in
this review. Let’s start where we usually do, with my own personal opinions on
the book. For the purposes of making this review make sense, I arranged the
stories chronologically, they were not presented in this order in the
collection itself. So, the verdict is… I loved the stories in this book. The “Venom
Vs. Carnage” storyline was great, I loved the debut of Toxin. I enjoyed the “Venomous”
segments, I liked how Spider-Man made good with Vulture’s ex. “The Last Stand”
segments were enjoyable, Gargan’s debut as Venom was a great start. “The Last
Temptation of Eddie Brock” was brilliant, with Eddie struggling with the remnants
of being Venom, and the ending was so touching, with Eddie trying to be a
better person, and Peter reaching Aunt May and what May told Peter. “Switching
Sides” was a fun little bit with Venom fighting the Cape Killers and surprising
Songbird and Radioactive Man by accepting the Thunderbolts offer. “Namesake” was
entertaining, seeing Venom trying to defend his Scorpion trademark, and the
fight was rather unexpected. “Reason in Madness” was enjoyable, seeing Norman
Osborn in action as a human and not as the Green Goblin and still kicking butt
was exciting. “Dark Origin” was my favorite story in the book, getting to look
back at Eddie’s history and seeing what led him on his path to being who he was
as both Eddie Brock and Venom was so much fun. Overall, I thought this book was
very well written. Now, since this is a graphic novel, we also have to look at
the artwork as well as the story. For the most part, I enjoyed the artwork. I
thought most of it was relatively good, if not better. My favorites were Terry
Dodson, Frank Cho, and Angel Medina, and I also enjoyed the work of Leonard
Kirk. I generally enjoyed the work of Clayton Crain, but there were moments
when Crain’s work did go wrong. Lee Weeks, Rick Hoberg and Ben Oliver did
decent work, sometimes it was a little gritty, but I still found it enjoyable. And
I did not care for the art from Leinil Francis Yu on “Switching Sides” at all. Now,
I know this is being nitpicky, but I also evaluate the appropriateness of title
and cover applied to graphic novels as well. And I will say that I don’t feel
that “Sting of the Scorpion” was the perfect title for this book. It’s true
that this book does involve Mac Gargan, the former Scorpion, but he’s not
active as Scorpion in this book at all, and he also doesn’t hold as much of a
majority of appearance as Venom as Eddie Brock did in this collection. I feel
like a better title for this collection would have been “Dark Origin,” which
would have been more fitting to the overall content for not only having the five
issue “Venom: Dark Origin” limited series, but for featuring the birth of Toxin,
and Angelo Fortunato and Mac Gargan both becoming Venom. As for the cover, this
collection is fronted with Spider-Man perched on a building in the rain with
Angelo Fortunato as Venom standing menacingly behind him. I feel like this was
poor representation as Angelo appeared as Venom in only two issues in this entire
book. As far as marketing goes, I feel the branding is not proper for the
majority of the content in this particular collection.
Next up, we’re going to talk about
accessibility. I’ve done over seven dozen reviews like this at this point, and
in each one, I’ve been obligated to explain the usage of that word every single
time. I know some of you have been to these reviews before and know what I’m
about to say, so if you do, bear with me while I explain it to the newbs who are
reading a Tim Cubbin review for the first time. So, essentially, accessibility
means how easy it is to understand the material contained in this volume with
no outside or prior knowledge of the characters or storylines. So, when asking the
question of if this book is accessible, I will say that it really isn’t. This
book has issues of “Marvel Knights Spider-Man” that are part of a twelve-issue storyline,
but this book only contains excerpts and three entire issues, with only blurbs
explaining the pieces that are missing. I feel like this book is extremely
incomplete in that particular story. It also has tie-ins to other events like “Civil
War” and “Back in Black,” detracting from making this easily accessible to
beginners. I feel like if you are looking to get into reading Marvel Comics for
the first time and are looking for a place to start, this book is not a good
choice for you.
We’re up to the point where I give
this book the ultimate evaluation: my numeric score. To some people, this is
the key reason they come to read my reviews: to find out exactly how good I
feel a book is. My scoring system is extremely simple: I score on a scale of
exact whole numbers ranging from one through ten. The lowest score I can give
is a one. That score means that this is one of the worst things I have ever
read in my entire life, and the money I spent buying it and time I spent
reading it were such a colossal waste and I totally regret all of it and wish I
could go back and undo it. My highest score is ten. That score is reserved only
for sheer perfection. That means that the story was exciting and engaging and
entertaining the whole way through; the art was consistently visually
appealing; the title fits the main theme of the book; and that what is shown on
the cover is actually a proper representation of the content of this book. It
also means that the time I spent reading this book was some of the best time of
my life while consuming a form of entertainment. I’m not in the business of
just handing out a ten to a book that doesn’t deserve it, and I am very hard to
please. But in terms of what I’m looking for when I evaluate a book, the story
was an enjoyable read, the art was, for the most part, relatively decent, but
the title and cover, while are delivered upon in the book itself, don’t capture
the totality of the essence of this book. So, when taking all the ingredients
that make up the book, pouring them into my metaphorical blender, and blending
them until they are completely fluid, then pouring the liquid out into a cup,
the liquid represents a score of… an eight! This book was an enjoyable read,
but the marketing does seem a little off in my opinion.
Our next stop on our journey
through this review is the recommendation segment. This segment focuses on two
topics. The first is to answer the question of, do I, Tim Cubbin, personally
recommend this book to you, my readers, or to anyone unfortunate enough to get
caught in a conversation with me about this book? The second topic is to
discuss what aspects of this book would appeal to specific readers, based on
the content and what a person looks for when they read a book, and not looking
at the obvious of fans of Venom, Marvel, or the creative team. In answer to the
question, if you are reading this review, and now, based solely on the words
you’ve just spent the past few minutes reading and my personal recommendation that
you want to read this book, I would tell you to definitely read this book. Hop
onto your favorite online retailer, head over to your favorite bookstore, your
local comic book shop, your local library, or hit up a friend or family member
with this book and get your hands on a copy as soon as you can. As far as the content
that readers might find appealing, if you like stories about aliens, you’d probably
find this book appealing. This book is also appealing to fans of horror comics.
Also, fans of stories about people dealing with depression and other
psychological issues might find something to relate to in this book. And people
with an interest in journalism could be interested in this book.
Okay, we’re at the point where we’re
just about ready to say goodbye for now. There are a bunch of things I do have
to say first. If you liked this post and want to check out more of my work,
keep looking at timcubbin.blogspot.com for more content. I’ve been doing this
blog for almost six years now. During that time, I’ve published over 190 posts.
While I have posted short stories and poetry, this blog favors a journalistic approach,
and I’ve also featured articles, essays, and editorials, but my primary focus is
reviews. I’ve reviewed some prose novels, manga, and comic book events, but the
majority of the reviews have been of graphic novels, particularly Marvel Epic
Collections. I have done over seven dozen such reviews. I purchase every Marvel
Modern Era Epic Collection and Ultimate Epic Collection as soon as I can after
it is released, and if possible, put up a review of it. At the moment, there
are only four Modern Era Epic Collections I haven’t reviewed, three because I
didn’t have a laptop to type a review on at the time, and one due to scheduling
issues that made writing a review a problem and by the time I got around to
being able to write a review I wasn’t able to properly recall the book to do an
accurate review, but that should be amended by around the start of next year. I
have reviewed every Ultimate Epic Collection released thus far. If you liked this
review and want to read more similar posts, feel free to search for my reviews
of “Venom: Shiver” “Venom: Agent Venom” “Venom: The Savage Six” and “Venom:
Space Knight” for more Venom content. I post on a very frequent basis, at least
once every two months, but usually more often than that, depending on releases
of books to review and my scheduling. Just so you know, my next review is going
to be on “Spider-Girl: Comes the Carnage!” You can expect to see it posted
within the next two months following the publication of this post. Everything I
say on this blog is strictly my opinion. I respect that you might not agree
with what I have to say, and if you have ever read anything I’ve reviewed or
have anything you’d like to say, like you disagreed with anything I’ve posted,
or if you agree with me, or if you just want to let me know what you think of
my post, feel free to leave a comment or a response or a post of some kind. I’d
love to hear from you guys as I value all my readers and their opinions. Please
follow, like, share, retweet, do something to spread me around the internet to
your friends, that would be greatly appreciated. I’ll be doing this blog for as
long as I can, so don’t expect me to stop anytime soon. I’m looking forward to
posting again and hope you’ll come back to join me. That’s all I have to say
for now. Until next time, Tim Cubbin… out!
No comments:
Post a Comment