Wednesday, September 1, 2021

B'ings: Based on the Marvel Comics By... Part 2

            Hey, again, Tim Cubbin here, welcoming you back inside my mind for the next few minutes.

            Okay, this is another B’ing. What’s a B’ing you ask? I’ve done nine before, so go back and look at my other B’ings so you know what I’m talking about and I’d be very happy. I work hard on this blog, and don’t even get paid, I do this out of the goodness of my heart, so looking at my past works would be THE BEST thing you could do for me and you yourself are THE BEST! But, imagine, if you will, a word, a bad word, and my not wanting to use profanity on this blog, so I hope you get this now? Yeah? Good! No? Ah, well, keep reading anyway!

            Alright, you probably noticed this is “Based on the Marvel Comics by… Part 2.” Yeah, I did a part one, I’m honestly not messing with you, so you might want to go back and see the first “Based on the Marvel Comics by…” When I did that, I had no idea I’d be revisiting this topic, so this was unexpected, but there’s been more thoughts about it, and if I didn’t’ say “Part 2” and just edited the post, no one would notice I edited it and not read my edit, so “Part 2” was necessary.

            Okay, so I have been rewatching all the Marvel television shows lately. I’m currently rewatching “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and noticed something MAJORLY wrong. Last time, I focused my B’ing about crediting the movies to writers who didn’t write all the comics and the new writers not getting credited, putting credit where credit is due and not due. I watched the opening credits and noticed something VERY WRONG! “Based on the Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby” popped up. Now, why is this wrong? THERE WAS NO “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” COMIC SERIES BY STAN LEE AND JACK KIRBY! Yes, Stan and Jack created S.H.I.E.L.D. in their comics, but never actually wrote a series focusing ONLY on the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. And let’s look at our cast of characters. Phil Coulson, star of the show. BUT! Stan and Jack neither created Coulson, nor ever worked on ANY comics with him in it. But what about other characters? Melinda May. Nope, not Stan and Jack. Grant Ward. Um, no. Daisy Johnson? No. Leopold Fitz. No, not Stan and Jack’s work. Jemma Simmons? No, they did not create her. So how can you say this show was based on characters who, until very recently did not have characters in the comics corresponding to the characters in the show, in storylines not based on anything Stan wrote, how is this “Based on the Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby?” Credit where credit’s due? Not there. So how do I feel about this claim? FALSE!

            Now, that’s a main B’ing. I also have a secondary claim. Last time I talked about characters CREATED by certain writers. I can honestly say, upon reviewing credits of Marvel Cinematic Universe films, that there are examples where they do say a character is “Created by” a writer and artist. Yes, I saw “Captain America created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby,” but still in the same credits, “Based on the Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.” I hope you’ve read my first “Based on the Marvel Comics by…” post, or you’re totally not following my train of thought properly, so go and read it now, then come back here and we’ll… well, I was going to say “be on the same page,” but these are two pages, so I can’t say that, so how about… be in the same neighborhood. (Does anyone say that or did I just invent that? If I invented it, totally keep saying it in conversations, having my own colloquialism would be AWESOME!) Well, that might make my point seem all well and good, but here’s my B’ing. I watched “Thor: Ragnarok” and noticed it said “Thor created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.” Now, you might not notice my point right away, so reread my last sentence. “Thor created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.” Um, Thor was a subject of the pagan Norse mythology from, like, a few thousands of years ago? By the Norse people? They created him and told all kinds of stories about him, and Loki (who gets the credit “Loki created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby” in the “Loki” Disney + series)? A few thousand years ago? Was Stan Lee Norse? Living a few thousand years ago? He was ninety-six when he died a few years ago, so yeah, he and Jack did NOT CREATE Thor! I don’t know who created Thor, no one does, that’s why it’s mythology. So how can you say “Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby” when they weren’t around a few thousand years ago and start the Norse pagan mythology? YOU DARN WELL CAN’T! I know this might seem minor to you, but it’s MAJOR to me! Humor me, I have obsessive-compulsive disorder, many things people consider “little” is planet size to me. So what would be a good credit? Maybe “Thor adapted by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby?” Okay, that doesn’t sound all that good? “Thor as inspired by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby?” Hmm, still not all that good. There’s got to be a good way to word this, I just can’t come up with one on my own. If you’re reading this link from Twitter, totally feel free to let me know what you would feel would be good wordology. (That’s honestly a real word? I didn’t come up with it?) In fact, feel free to let me know anything you have to say about my blog in general. Send me something I could B’ing about if you want and if I can do it, I totally will, but if I can’t run with it myself, I’ll politely explain why I just can’t make it work. I’m always looking for feedback, by the way, if there’s anything you want to say, just type it in, that’d be totally awesome (I have yet to get any true feedback from people I don’t know, so if you’re the first, you are THE BEST)! I mean, yes, this is “From the Mind of One Tim Cubbin,” but you’ve got a mind too, I would love to hear from you! So comment, retweet, share with your friends, anything, I love having regular readers and new readers alike, keep the fires of my brain burning.

            Anyway, at this point, you’re probably bored. But when I can complain about something, BOY, I CAN COMPLAIN! I’d love to complain with you, by the way, which I practically said in different words, and man does that look weird? Well, since you’ve had enough, I guess I’ll have enough. So, till next time, Tim Cubbin… out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Spider-Man/Deadpool: 'Til Death Do Us..."

              The following is a review of the graphic novel “Spider-Man/Deadpool: ’Til Death Do Us…” as presented in Marvel Modern Era Epic...